Welcome to the first episode of The Globetrotter Lounge Podcast!
Katharine Harvey and I both grew up in Seattle – and many years ago ran in the same social circles. We’d fallen out of touch during the last decade or so – but what we didn’t realize was that we were on somewhat parallel paths in regards to our shared love of travel. She recently resurfaced on my radar and when I found out what she’d been up to in recent years, I decided she would be the perfect first guest on the Globetrotter lounge.
Join me as Katharine, a project manager and adventurer extraordinaire, shares the multiple ways she’s been able to travel more for less – and ultimately spend more time at her destinations, immersing herself in a full cultural experience. Extended trips have become her top travel strategy – with month long stays in France, Peru, Argentina and Belize. Her story includes pet sitting, house swapping and living in Mexico for a year. She shares tips and resources – and outlines how she was able to make travel and living abroad a priority.
Check out Katharine’s blog at Americana Mexicana.
What you’ll learn as you listen:
- Why extended travel is worth pursuing
- The beauty of house swapping – free room & board and more
- Incorporating volunteering and service work into trips
- Ways to get grounded and connected while traveling
- Networking still works in finding ways to travel cheaply
- Pet sitting as a way to extend your stay
- Facing your travel fears – and the fears of those around you
- Travel as a solo woman – and as an American
- How to get travel dreams out of your head and into reality