In today’s episode, I speak with Martinique (“Marty”) Lewis, a veteran traveler who is committed to inspiring other travelers and diversifying the travel industry. At 31 years old she’s already been traveling for 22 years, visited six continents, and will be traveling 275 days out of the upcoming year. We talk about her work with Black Travel Journey, an organization that aims to educate, encourage and inspire travelers of color. For the past year Marty has been raising awareness about the lack of diversity in travel advertising and promotion. She works directly with tourism boards and hospitality brands, educating them about the value and importance of marketing to people of color.
Marty is also dedicated to helping the communities that she visits, especially lesser known destinations that are part of the African Diaspora. Her passion about what she does shines through everything she says. I’m sure you will be inspired by her travel-filled life and infectious positivity.
More about Marty
A digital revolutionary, Martinique Lewis takes pride in disrupting the digital community with engaging content that evokes emotion and encourages wanderlust. She strives to diversify brands by using her creativity and travel experience, leveraging her existing relationships to increase brand awareness, cultivate brand voices, and drive traffic across multiple platforms. Inspiring others to travel excites her, and she works tirelessly to make travel dreams a reality. She now works for NOMADNESS Travel Tribe, an award winning travel lifestyle brand. They represent the underrepresented demographic in mainstream travel. and are travel influencers and innovators. Their mission is to show the world that travel has no racial, gender, religious, economic, or interest limitations. They are the first to represent the millennial travel demographic, and are always looking to for ways to further innovate that sector of the industry.
Martinique Lewis can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What you’ll learn
- What sparked her love of travel
- How she was able to travel a ton as a young adult
- How and why she started working for Black Travel Journey
- What Black Travel Journey does, and the importance of their work
- Why she spends so much time in Roatan, Honduras and other lesser known destinations that are part of the African diaspora
- What her future travel plans are
- How she is helping and partnering with the communities that she travels to
- What she’s learned about Black history in Amsterdam
- Her list of top travel destinations (and why)
- The travel resources that she recommends
- Black Travel Journey
- Black Heritage Tours in Amsterdam
- Skift – Travel News, Airline Industry News, & Hotel Industry News
- The Matador Network
- Nomadness Travel Tribe
- Connect with Marty via email, Instagram and/or Twitter
Her Recommended Destinations
- Roatan, Honduras
- Bimini, Bahamas
- Perro Island, Panama
- Malawi, Africa
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Tokyo, Japan
- Montreal, Canada
Enjoyed this episode? If so, I would so appreciate if you could leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts (or wherever it is you listen to your podcasts). It really helps more people find the show. Thank you!