Get this dream out of your head and onto paper, and start making plans.
In the first episode of the Globetrotter Lounge, Katharine Harvey – project manager and Seattle native – shares the multiple ways she’s been able to spend more time at her travel destinations, immersing herself in a full cultural experience. Extended trips have become her top travel strategy – with month long stays in France, Peru, Argentina and Belize. Her story includes pet sitting, house swapping and living in Mexico for a year. She shares tips and resources – and outlines how she was able to make travel and living abroad a priority.
Check out Katharine’s blog at Americana Mexicana.
What you’ll learn as you listen:
- Why extended travel is worth pursuing
- The beauty of house swapping – free room & board and more
- Incorporating volunteering and service work into trips
- Ways to get grounded and connected while traveling
- Networking still works in finding ways to travel cheaply
- Pet sitting as a way to extend your stay
- Facing your travel fears – and the fears of those around you
- Travel as a solo woman – and as an American
- How to get travel dreams out of your head and into reality
- Intervac – Home exchange service
- Workaway – Community for volunteering, working and cultural exchange
- International Volunteer HQ – Volunteer abroad programs
- Care.com – Offering child care, adult/senior care, pet care and home care
- Trusted Housesitters – Helping Pet Lovers Travel
Enjoyed this episode? If so, I would so appreciate if you could rate, review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts (or wherever it is you listen to your podcasts). It really helps more people find the show. Thank you!