Travel can ultimately save your life. The reason why I’m where I am today … the reason why I have the access that I have today, the reason why I’m a better wife, a better mother, a better person, more compassionate, a bigger giver more patient – it’s because travel has saved me.
In episode 11 we hear the fascinating story of how a young girl from an underserved community in Mobile, Alabama became a world traveler who encourages other women of color to do the same through her travel company and online community Black Girls Travel Too. I wanted to share Danny’s story for many reasons. I especially love that she is part of a growing movement that is changing perceptions about women of color and travel – something that is long overdue. I’m not the only one who has appreciated her message – the Black Girls Travel Too Instagram page now has over 113,000 followers. Listen and find out how one life changing moment led Danny to want to travel more – and help other women like her travel more too.
What you’ll learn
- How Danny went from growing up in an underserved community to becoming a travel influencer
- What sparked her to create Black Girls Travel Too (BGTT)
- How BGTT is changing perceptions about African-American people and travel
- What BGTT provides as a travel company
- How Danny and I both feel traveling to places in the world that represent the Africa diaspora as women of color
- How she decides where to go on her BGTT trips, and how she prepares and does her research
- Her vision for her new non-profit foundation dedicated to helping under served communities around the world
- Some of her tips for traveling more – including where she finds cheap flights
Enjoyed this episode? If so, I would so appreciate if you could leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts (or wherever it is you listen to your podcasts). It really helps more people find the show. Thank you!