In this episode I talk with Lori L. Tharps, a writer, academic and podcaster who explores identity, race and culture. An avid traveler, she is the author of the award-winning memoir, Kinky Gazpacho: Life, Love & Spain. She is also creator of the My American Meltingpot podcast and blog. Lori shares about her early travel experiences (including study abroad), her career and focus on multiculturalism, and her intimate relationship with Spain. She also talks about sabbaticals as a way to travel, and why she wants her kids to experience life overseas.
What You’ll Learn
- What sparked Lori’s wanderlust
- Her early travel experiences – including study abroad
- What study abroad did for her as a teen, and then as a young adult
- How she met her Spanish husband.
- Her multifaceted career (writer, journalist, podcaster) and focus on multiculturalism
- How she eventually started leading study abroad trips
- Her relationship with Spain over the years, and specifically her experience as a Black woman
- Why and how she applied for a sabbatical
- The research she is planning to do while in Spain
- How to get a sabbatical if you don’t work in academia
- Other ways you might be able to travel for work
- How the pandemic is affecting her plans to live abroad (be sure to read her follow up blog post, listed below)
- AFS Intercultural Programs USA
- Books by Lori Tharps
- My American Meltingpot Podcast
- Episode 19: Black in Spain Part I
- Episode 20: What’s it Like Being Black in Spain? Part II
- Saying No to Spain and the Grief that Follows
About Lori Tharps
Lori L. Tharps is a content creator whose work lands at the intersection of race and popular culture. A public intellectual, Tharps strives to use her words to broaden the conversation about race in America; to challenge racial stereotypes; to dismantle white supremacy; and to celebrate ethnic and cultural diversity whenever possible. She is the author of the award-winning memoir, Kinky Gazpacho:Life, Love & Spain. She is also the founder and host of the My American Meltingpot podcast and blog.
This episode was generously sponsored by Waypoint Goods, makers of beautifully designed, functional travel scarves (great to use around your home city as well!). They are generously offering Globetrotter Lounge podcast listeners a 15% discount – simply visit waypointgoods.com and enter JETSET at checkout.
Enjoyed this episode? If so, please rate, review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts (or wherever it is you listen to your podcasts). It really helps more people find the show. Thank you!