In this episode I talk with Kylee Nelson, a Neonatal Infant Care Unit travel nurse and solo traveler. She is the creator of the Passports and Preemies blog, which provides travel tips, resources and inspiration for nurses and travelers. She also provides one-on-one mentoring. Kylee shares what sparked her love of travel, how she made the leap from staff to travel nursing, why she loves solo travel and how it helps her prevent burnout. Kylee also shares some great travel stories, including a very expensive mistake she made early on.
What You’ll Learn
- What sparked Kylee’s love of travel
- Why she started travel nursing
- What nurse burnout looks like
- How travel has helped her prevent burnout
- Steps to becoming a travel nurse
- Why she loves exploring the U.S. (and one of her fave towns in the Pacific Northwest)
- Where she’s worked across the country
- Where she has traveled between nursing contracts
- What inspired her blog, Passports and Preemies
- How solo travel has impacted her life
- About the mentoring she offers
- One of the biggest mistakes she made when she started out
- Her future travel goals
- How she is navigating the pandemic
- Tips for getting started with travel nursing
About Kylee Nelson
Kylee splits her time between being a NICU nurse and solo traveler. She has been caring for premature babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for five years now. She began Passports and Preemies in 2017 to reach nurses and advocate for the prevention of nurse burnout through traveling. Kylee is the original creator of the “8 Day Vacay” – A vacation geared towards nurses aiming to take advantage of the 8 days off between work weeks with no need to use PTO.
This episode is sponsored by Waypoint Goods, makers of beautiful and functional travel scarves and journals. Globetrotter Lounge podcast listeners get a 15% discount – enter JETSET at checkout.
The episode is also sponsored by Manta Sleep. Their sleep masks and other sleep accessories help you maximize enjoyment of life and unlock your full potential through achieving quality sleep. Use JETSET to get 10% off at checkout.
Enjoyed this episode? If so, please rate, review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts (or wherever it is you listen to your podcasts). It really helps more people find the show. Thank you!