I talk with Kim Haas, Executive Producer, host and creator of the new PBS travel series Afro-Latino Travels with Kim Haas. The series celebrates the historical and cultural contributions of Latin America’s African descendants in countries like Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic and Mexico. The show premieres September 12 with a two-part special featuring Costa Rica in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month.
Kim talks about what sparked her love of travel and languages, her work in Spanish media, and what led her to create the show. She also shares how she overcame funding challenges, how she’s navigating the pandemic, and how travel has changed her.
What You’ll Learn
- What sparked Kim’s love of travel
- How she became fluent in Spanish, Portuguese and Italian
- Details about her study abroad experiences
- The joy of being able to speak a foreign language (or two)
- How she became the Director of Marketing for WWSI TV Telemundo
- What her media consulting work entails
- What inspired her to create Afro-Latino Travels
- How she got the show off the ground, despite major funding challenges
- About her Los Afro-Latinos blog
- How she is navigating the pandemic
- How has travel changed her
- Tips for those wanting to travel more
About Kim Haas
Kim Haas, Executive Producer, Host & Creator of Afro-Latino Travels with Kim Haas, has been active in Afro-Latino issues for more than a decade and is founder of Los Afro-Latinos, a blog celebrating Afro-Latino culture. Kim speaks fluent Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. She served as Director of Marketing for WWSI TV Telemundo, and she also served as an on-camera pledge host in English, Spanish and Italian for WYBE TV in Philadelphia. She is member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Kim is passionate about her work with “Afro-Latino Travels,” and is extremely proud to be one of the upcoming few Black, female travel hosts on public television, leading the path for more to follow.
You can learn more about Kim and the show on the Afro-Latino Travels website, and say hi on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
This episode is sponsored by Waypoint Goods, makers of beautiful and functional travel scarves and journals. Globetrotter Lounge podcast listeners get a 15% discount – enter JETSET at checkout.
The episode is also sponsored by Manta Sleep. Their sleep masks and other sleep accessories help you maximize enjoyment of life and unlock your full potential through achieving quality sleep. Use JETSET to get 10% off at checkout.
Enjoyed this episode? If so, please rate, review and subscribe on Apple Podcasts (or wherever it is you listen to your podcasts). It really helps more people find the show. Thank you!