In this episode, I talk with Nikki Vargas, a travel editor, author, video producer and public speaker based in New York City. She is the Founding Editor and Co-Founder of Unearth Women, a unique publication that celebrates travel and women’s stories. Nikki is also an editor for Fodor’s Travel, and her bylines have appeared in VICE, Food & Wine, Roads & Kingdoms, Cosmopolitan, and more. Nikki shares what sparked her love of travel, what led her to become a travel writer and editor, why her family left Colombia, and what drew her back. She also talks about co-founding Unearth Women, what it offers to travelers, and about her related book that will be published in early 2022.
What You’ll Learn:
- What sparked Nikki’s love of travel
- How she was able to fit travel into her budget
- Why she appreciates heritage travel
- How turning your passion into a career comes with trade-offs
- How she was able to recover from work burnout
- What led Nikki to co-found the Unearth Women magazine
- What some of the challenges were along the way
- They story behind the magazine’s pivot to a digital format
- Ways to stay connected to travel during the pandemic
- How to satiate your travel curiosity while sticking close to home
- About Nikki’s upcoming book and documentary
About Nikki Vargas:
Nikki Vargas is a travel editor, journalist, producer, public speaker, and author based in New York City. She is originally from Bogotá, Colombia. Nikki is the Founding Editor and Co-Founder of Unearth Women. In addition to her work with Unearth Women, Nikki is an Editor for Fodor’s Travel and a previous Travel Editor for The Infatuation, Atlas Obscura, and Culture Trip. As a journalist, her bylines have appeared in Zagat, VICE, Food & Wine, Roads & Kingdoms, Cosmopolitan, and more.
As a public speaker, Nikki has spoken at various conferences including the Women’s Travel Fest, Women in Travel Summit, Latino Travel Fest, and The New York Times Travel Show. In addition, she has produced various video series—from Culture Trip’s Hungerlust to Unearth Women’s #WomenOwned. Currently, Nikki is a producer for an upcoming documentary made in partnership with Unrealistic Ideas and One Foot Forward.
- Pre-order Nikki Vargas’ new book: Wanderess
- Enter to win Wanderfest VIP tickets
- Ep 43 | Lola Akinmade Akerstrom: Exploring Culture Through Travel Photography & Writing
Partners & Offerings
Waypoint Goods designs accessories that support and inspire women travelers, including their signature travel scarf with hidden zipper pocket. Enter JETSET at checkout for a 15% discount.
Join Wanderful, the leading travel collective that helps all women travel the world by connecting them to each other. Enter JETSETLISETTE for $50 off annual membership.
Enjoyed this episode? If so, please rate and review on Apple Podcasts (or wherever you listen).