I talk with Joy Barnett, copywriter and solo road tripper based in Austin, Texas. So far she has driven over 6000 miles, primarily going to U.S. destinations that are important to Black history. Joy shares what sparked her love of travel, why she started road tripping solo, and about some of the places she’s visited. She also shares how travel can offer space for healing, why she focuses on Black history, and her top road trip tips – particularly for women traveling solo.
What You’ll Learn
- Why Joy feels solo travel is important
- About the trip that sparked Joy’s love of road trips
- Details about Joy’s current trip
- Why you need to be flexible with trip planning
- About honoring and grieving your loved ones through travel
- How being “new in town” can work to your advantage
- Why Joy focuses on Black History
- How things have improved for Black women traveling solo
- Joy’s road tripping experience vs. the stereotypical road trip narrative
- Top things to think about when you’re planning a road trip
- About the historical Negro Motorist’s Green Book
About Joy Barnett
A serendipitous 2018 trip to New York led copywriter and native Texan Joy Barnett to a revelation: the thrill of setting out alone. By 2021, a series of personal losses amidst the global pandemic made her solitude a more permanent state. Shaping it instead into inspiration, she’s since traveled over 6000 miles solo road tripping through the southern United States, meeting unique people, seeing beautiful places, and finding more and more of herself along the way. Joy Barnett is a creative copywriter just trying to work hard, look good, and write glorious things for print, TV, radio, digital, interactive, social, infinity and beyond.
You can find out more about Joy on her website, and follow her on Instagram and Facebook.
Partners & Offerings
Waypoint Goods designs accessories that support and inspire women travelers, including their signature travel scarf with hidden zipper pocket. Enter JETSET at checkout for a 15% discount.
Join Wanderful, the leading travel collective that helps all women travel the world by connecting them to each other. Enter JETSETLISETTE for $50 off annual membership.
Enjoyed this episode? If so, please rate and review on Apple Podcasts (or wherever you listen).